You wanna know?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

half and half

10am & a $10 breakfast of tasteless scrambled eggs & sausage, $2 black coffee w/ 2 sugars in a fancy cup. Seated at a table in the corner by the window so I can watch people on their way to work or appointments. Eat the breakfast quickly while my mind is somewhere else. Someone could easily have been my stand in, it would've been just the same.

Finish the last of the coffee, finish the toast, leave the eggs & sausage and I don't feel guilty. Make my way to the car, travel down the pothole streets of LA, find a parking space, wait in line.

Lines, always lines to wait in. We're all in line waiting for something, all the time it seems.

You make eye contact with strangers, people you have never seen before and will probably never see again. People with funny smells, people with fucked up faces, people with beautiful smiles and horrible personalities. People who think they know everything and speak the loudest and people who have the most interesting stories to tell and are the most silent.

I'm a stranger here, a ghost even. Maybe I died in my sleep last night and I no longer exist. No more waiting in lines, no more tasteless breakfasts, no more brushing my teeth, doctor visits, dmv appointments, sitting at my desk staring at my computer.

someone calls out my name and snaps me back into this place.

damn, I think to myself. I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment